Friday, December 21, 2012

The Dervish Dancers of Cairo

Jenny Bowker wanted me to see the Al-Tanoura Troupe of Dervish Musicians and Dancers at the Wikalat Al-Ghouri in Cairo, and I loved seeing them.

They were very talented musicians, and they are self-taught using traditional musical instruments. The dancers were beyond belief. The man in green in the first photos danced in a circle for 35 minutes. He had two removable circular skirts that were removed and twirled during the performance. I'm still not sure how they managed to twirl them in every imaginable direction without losing a beat. Next came three dancers whose skirts never touched even though they moved about the entire floor.

I've put together some of my photos to give you an idea of their program. The music is called Caravan to Cairo - very similar to the music they played.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Here is the link:  http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a51314e7a63774f44593d0d0a&blogview=true

No comments:

Post a Comment